For the beans and rice:
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup picante sauce (I used mild)
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning (I make my own homemade taco seasoning)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Optional: 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- Grated cheddar, for serving
For the garlic lime sour cream:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Add the rice, water, kidney beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, picante sauce, taco seasoning, salt and pepper into the slow cooker. Stir a bit.
- If desired, place chicken on top of mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-5 hours.
- Cut up chicken and then stir it back in to the pot.
- Make the garlic lime sour cream by stirring together sour cream, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, kosher salt and garlic cloves.
- Serve rice and beans with a dollop of the sour cream on top. Sprinkle with grated cheddar, if desired. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.*
- Category: Meatless
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe (no chicken/no sour cream)
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 655 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 61 g
- Protein: 11 g