Because this has vegetables, chicken and pasta this soup is an all in one meal. This makes for a good lunch too…that is if there’s any leftovers the next day!
- 2 red bell peppers, washed, seeded and cut into slices
- 3 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup orzo, uncooked
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 oz heavy cream or half and half
- Salt and pepper
- Optional toppings: freshly diced tomatoes, parmesan cheese, fresh basil
- Line a cookie sheet with foil. Place sliced red peppers and tomatoes on the cookie sheet in one layer, without overlapping. Bake at 425° F for 30 minutes. Transfer red peppers and tomatoes to a blender. Add in one of the cans of diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup water. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Add the other can of tomatoes, chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper, basil, orzo and chicken broth to slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or on LOW for 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through and orzo is cooked.
- Remove chicken and shred or cut into bite sized pieces. Add back into the slow cooker.
- Stir in cream (or half and half) and salt and pepper to taste (I added in 1/2 tsp of salt).
- Ladle into serving bowls, top with desired toppings and enjoy!
Ideal slow cooker: 5-6 quart