Recently, I was introduced to a brand called Orrington Farms. They sell lots of products specifically for the slow cooker and also soup bases. Some of their products that I’m very excited to try are the slow cooker seasoning mix for chicken noodle soup and their ham broth base. For this recipe I used their French onion soup base.
I don’t know about you but I really love French onion soup but I don’t eat it very often. It just seems too fussy to make at home and so I really only order it at restaurants. I love the caramelized onions and the beefy broth. I also really love beef stroganoff with it’s tender chunks of beef, sliced mushrooms and creamy sour cream sauce.
So I had some fun and put these two favorite dishes together into one pot. The results were simply amazing and my kids and husband and I all inhaled this meal. Everyone requested that I make it again really soon and believe me I will. This to me is a perfect slow cooker meal. Why?
1. It only calls for 8 ingredients (but I’m only counting it as 5 since everyone has flour, sugar and water on hand) and takes only about 10 minutes to get into the slow cooker.
2. It takes all day to cook so it’s ideal for people who work and want to come home to a hot meal.
3. It’s full of flavor.
4. You can prep this meal ahead of time and put it in a freezer bag and use it as a freezer meal.
- 2 medium yellow onions, julienned (cut into very thin half moons)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced (I used white button mushrooms but you can use cremini if you prefer)
- 2 lbs beef stew meat or 2 lbs of chuck roast cut into one inch cubes
- 6 Tbsp Orrington Farms French Onion Soup Base
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream (I used low fat)
- 1 Tbsp flour
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Place the thinly sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with the teaspoon of sugar and stir.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and the beef stew meat into the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk the soup base and the water together until smooth. Pour into the slow cooker. Stir a bit.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours. Onions should be caramelized and the beef chunks will be very tender.
- In a small bowl, stir the sour cream and the flour together. Stir the sour cream into the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker to high and cook with the lid off for about 10 minutes. This will thicken the sauce up.
- Serve the beef and sauce over the top of egg noodles. I sliced up a baguette and melted some cheese over the top of it under the broiler. This really completed the French onion soup experience.
Freezer meal instructions: Combine onions, sugar, mushrooms, beef and French onion base into a freezer zipper bag. Freeze. When ready to eat, pour contents of bag into slow cooker and add in one cup of water. Follow instructions 4-6 above. You will probably need to add a couple of hours to the cooking time if you put contents of bag into the slow cooker frozen solid, you you can always thaw the bag the night before in the refrigerator.