Makes 4 servings
5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup salsa
1 tsp Cajun blackened seasoning
1/2 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup bacon bits, plus more for serving
1 Tbsp quick-cooking tapioca (or use 2 Tbsp if your chicken is frozen)
4 oz cream cheese, cut into cubes
1. If you have a slow cooker liner, use this trick. Place chicken inside liner.
2. In a bowl, combine the mayo, salsa, Cajun seasoning, dill, cumin, bacon and tapioca.
3. Spoon sauce over the top of the chicken. Tie up the slow cooker liner and cover the slow cooker.
4. Cook on LOW for about 4-6 hours.
5. Remove lid and untie string. Cut the chicken into chunks or shred. Add the cream cheese into the sauce. Let the cream cheese melt and stir in until creamy. Adjust seasonings, if needed.
6. Serve chicken and sauce over mashed potatoes. Top with extra bacon.
My husband came up with this recipe idea and was insistent on the name, or at least on using the word “explosion” in the title. 🙂
It turned out absolutely delicious! Mine turned out a little runny since I put my chicken in frozen. If you’re not going to thaw the chicken then make sure to add an extra tablespoon of tapioca to thicken things up.
I am planning on making this again soon. 5 stars.
What if you don’t have a liner?
you can just put it straight into the pot.
I live in Australia and cannot find tapioca. I used corn flour in the last hour. Turned out fine 🙂 also the final product doesn't taste anything like mayonnaise.
I made this today and loved it. I used fresh bacon not bacon bits and it was so tasty
Bailey, yes. Try the greek yogurt. But add it at the end. It will curdle otherwise. Let me know if it's any good.
Bailey H says
What about a sub for mayo? Would Greek yogurt work here? That's my usual sub. My husband hates mayo so we never have it on hand.
it's a thickener. you can dredge the chicken in flour or you can reduce on the stovetop at the end.
Anna Maria says
Anything you can use in place of the tapioca?