Make homemade chili with dried beans at home in your slow cooker. Sliced smoked sausage gives this chili a boost of flavor and no browning is required!
- 1 1/3 cup dried pinto beans or dried kidney beans
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb smoked sausage, quarter inch slices
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 (14 oz) can diced or stewed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- Toppings: cheese, fritos, sour cream
- The night before you want the chili, soak the beans in plenty of water overnight with the tsp of salt. The next morning, drain the water and rinse off the beans.
- Add the beans to the slow cooker along with celery, onion, chili powder, garlic cloves, cumin, salt, water and smoked sausage. Stir to combine
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, until beans are soft and flavors blended. Add in brown sugar, tomatoes and tomato paste. Add salt and pepper to taste and more spices, if needed.
- Serve with desired toppings.