A creamy, comforting cream of mushroom soup with tender bites of chicken, cheesy tortellini, fresh spinach and topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- 16 oz sliced crimini or white button mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped onions (1 small onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp canola or olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups chicken broth (or 3 cups water + chicken bouillon)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 (19 oz) package frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 cup half and half, warmed
- 8 oz chopped white button mushrooms
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Add 16 oz sliced mushrooms to theslow cooker.
- Add onions, garlic cloves, oil and thyme to a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds. Add mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth, salt and chicken to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and place on a cutting board and let rest.
- Puree the contents of the slow cooker in a blender or with a stick blender.
- Add in warmed half and half (warm it so that the soup doesn’t curdle), frozen tortellini, 8 oz chopped mushrooms, spinach and vinegar. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Shred the chicken on the cutting board and then add back into the slow cooker.
- Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese.