All the flavors of chicken enchiladas in a bowl of soup. The soup is thickened up with a can of refried beans instead of dairy…this soup can be made dairy free if you want it to be. This version is made in your slow cooker.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce (mild, medium or hot…whatever you like)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts (frozen is fine, just cook 2 hours longer)
- 1 (16 oz) can refried beans
- 4 oz cream cheese (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Optional toppings: sour cream, chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, grated cheddar, tortilla or corn chips
1. Add broth, beans, corn, chiles, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, cumin, and chicken to the slow cooker. Give a quick stir.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for about 6 hours, or until chicken is cooked and tender.
3. Remove the chicken and shred. Stir refried beans and cream cheese (if wanted) into the hot soup until creamy. Add chicken back into the slow cooker.
4. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Ladle into servings bowls and top with individual toppings.
I used my 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours on low
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker