A creamy tortellini soup with chicken, vegetables and parmesan cheese. If you love chicken alfredo you’ll love this soup!
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (frozen is okay)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 (19 oz) package frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 1/2 cup grated/shredded parmesan cheese
- 5 large kale leaves, washed and coarsely chopped (discard the stem)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add onion, garlic, chicken broth, carrots, celery, salt, pepper and chicken into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (6 hours for thawed chicken and 8 hours for frozen chicken).
- Remove the lid and use tongs to place chicken on a cutting board. Cut the chicken into pieces or shred it and add it back into the slow cooker.
- Turn your slow cooker to high. Warm the half and half (I just do this in the microwave for 1 minute). Whisk the flour a tablespoon at a time into the half and half until it is a smooth mixture. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Let the soup thicken with the flour mixture for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the tortellini, parmesan and kale. Tortellini will cook in about 5-10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.*
An optional step is to saute the onion and garlic before adding it into the slow cooker. This will make a better flavored soup.
You can easily halve this recipe. Cut all the ingredients in half and cut the cooking time down by 1 hour.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/10 of the recipe
- Calories: 413
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 1216 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 38 g
- Cholesterol: 104 mg
Keywords: slow cooker