The night before:
- 1 (20 oz) package of Hurst’s Cajun 15 Bean Soup with included seasoning packet
- 1 Tbsp salt
The day of:
- 6 cups water
- 2 1/2 lbs beef stew meat (or you can cut a chuck roast into bite size cubes)
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 green pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper
- Optional Toppings: grated cheese, sliced green onions, diced red onions, sliced jalapenos
For the sour cream:
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- The night before you want to make the chili you’ll need to soak the beans. This really helps get the beans to the right texture. Get a big bowl and pour the beans into the bowl. Save the seasoning packet for tomorrow! Add water to the bowl. The beans will absorb a lot of water so you’ll want to fill the bowl with enough water to cover the beans by at least 2 inches. Sprinkle in 1 Tablespoon of salt. The salt will help the beans get to a creamy, smooth texture as opposed to a gluey, mushy texture. Let the beans sit overnight for at least 8 hours.
- Drain the water from the beans by placing the beans in a colander. Rinse off the beans.
- Pour the rinsed beans into a large slow cooker. Add in 6 cups of water.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a large pan over medium high heat. While the oil is heating get your beef out. You’ll want to use a paper towel to blot as much moisture off the beef as possible. This will ensure that you get a nice browning on the meat. Place the beef into the hot pan and try to let each piece of meat get a space on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle half of the seasoning packet from the 15 bean soup mix onto the meat. Let the meat brown for 5 minutes, then turn the meat over with a spatula and let it brown for 5 minutes on the other side. Add the meat to the slow cooker.
- While the meat is browning, you’ll want to dice up your onion. Add the diced onion to the slow cooker.
- Add 2 tsp of salt and 3 minced garlic cloves into the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for about 8-10 hours or HIGH for 4-5 hours, or until beans and beef are very tender.
- Remove the lid. At this point I ladled out some extra liquid and discarded it. If you want it really thick instead of soupy, ladle out some of the liquid.
- Add in diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir in. Add in the diced green pepper. Add in the remainder of the seasoning packet (you should have half of the packet left). Then salt and pepper to taste (I added in probably another 1/2 tsp of salt).
- Make the cajun-lime sour cream. In a bowl, whisk the sour cream, lime juice, hot sauce, oil and cajun seasoning together until smooth and incorporated.
- Scoop the chili into serving bowls and top with sour cream and optional toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
Ideal slow cooker size: 6-8 quart