Makes 6 servings
3-4 cups tomatillo chicken mixture
1 (14 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (13.75 oz) can cream of mushroom soup (or you could probably use cream of chicken)
1 (5oz) can evaporated milk
1 cup salsa
About 3 (7 inch) flour tortillas (I used whole wheat), cut into 1-inch squares
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream, for serving
1. Combine chicken, black beans, cream of mushroom soup, milk and salsa in a medium bowl.
2. Make a foil sling for your slow cooker. (Making a foil sling: Fit two large sheets of foil into the slow cooker, perpendicular to one another, with the extra hanging over the edges of the cooker insert. Before serving, these overhanging edges can be used as handles to pull the dish out fully intact.) Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Layer the chicken mixture and the tortillas about 3 times, ending with the tortillas.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for about 4 hours or on HIGH for about 2 1/2 hours.
5. Remove lid and sprinkle with cheese. Let cheese melt and then serve with sour cream, if desired.
I had some leftover tomatillo chicken filling and put it to good use by creating a casserole. These types of foods are good for stretching meat and serving a crowd. I also love eating these types of recipes for lunch the next day. 3 1/2 stars