This chicken casserole makes it’s own biscuit top and creamy gravy as it cooks! It’s like magic!
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 4 cups chopped and cooked chicken (I use this recipe to cook chicken in my Instant Pot)
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables of your choice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp (about 1/3 cup) shortening
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Better than Bouillon chicken base
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- Heat oven to 350° F. Add the melted butter to bottom of a 9×13 inch pan.
- Add the chicken into the pan evenly.
- Distribute vegetables over the chicken evenly.
- Distribute cheese over vegetables evenly.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the shortening until crumbly. Stir the milk into the flour mixture. Pour the mixture over the top of the cheese evenly.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the water, chicken base and the cream of chicken soup. Pour the soup mixture over the top of the flour mixture.
- Place pan into the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes until top is beginning to brown. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
If you’d like to make this in the slow cooker layer all the ingredients in a 6 quart slow cooker as stated in the recipe instructions. Cook on high for 3-4 hours. The top won’t get browned like it will in the oven but it will be cooked through. The topping will be soft and moist more like dumplings than browned biscuits.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Oven