A creamy tomato basil soup with cheese tortellini that is made quickly in your electric pressure cooker.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery (3 ribs)
- 1 cup diced carrots (1 large carrot)
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth (or 4 cups water + 4 tsp better than bouillon chicken base*)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (19 oz) bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 cups half and half (or heavy cream or evaporated milk)
- 1 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil. Swirl the oil around. Add in the onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add in the carrots and celery and saute for 1 minute.
- Add in the broth, tomatoes, basil, oregano, bay leaf, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. Once the time is up let the pot sit there for an additional 5 minutes (display will say L0:05) then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Turn the pot back to the saute setting. Pour in the frozen tortellini. They will cook in about 2-4 minutes.
- Warm up the dairy in the microwave for about 90 seconds. Then stir a ladleful of soup into the dairy. This will prevent curdling. Then stir the dairy/soup mixture into the Instant Pot. Stir until it is incorporated. Then sprinkle in the parmesan cheese and stir.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
Half and half is half cream and half whole milk. You can find it next to the heavy cream at your grocery store.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup of soup
- Calories: 251
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 656 mg
- Fat: 34 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Protein: 7 g