Instant Pot Shop the Pantry Casserole—a good recipe to make when you didn’t grocery shop and you need to make a fast dinner. Bonus…it tastes amazing!
Instant Pot Shop the Pantry Casserole
This creamy rice and hamburger casserole is something that you can put together with what you have at home right now in your pantry. It tastes really yummy. It only has a 3 minute pressure cooking time, too. Look through all the substitution ideas so that you can make it with what you have on hand.
Ingredient and Substitution Ideas
- 1 pound lean ground beef--or 1 pound of ground turkey, pork, sausage or chicken
- 2 Tbsp minced dry onions–or ½ cup diced onions (saute them with the ground beef)
- 3 Tbsp dry ranch dressing mix–I used Hidden Valley. You can also make a homemade mix. Another option is a packet of Italian dressing mix or onion soup mix.
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth–or another type of broth like chicken or vegetable. You can also use water with Better Than Bouillon.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice–or another type of rice that you like (look at green chart below to know how long to cook it for and what ratio of broth to rice to use).
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup–or cream of chicken or cream of celery or you can make your own
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese–or colby jack, mozzarella, pepper jack, etc.
I tried to add a can of vegetables (green beans) to this recipe and Greg was like “no no no!” So I held back on the vegetables and served them on the side instead. If you want to add frozen or canned vegetables layer them on top of the rice (don’t stir) and then scoop cream of mushroom soup on top.
If you like recipes that can be loose with lots of substitution ideas and still turn out well you need to try my Whatever You Want Soup!
Another great one is Instant Pot Empty Your Pantry Soup
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc. Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
- 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1.* You can also make this in a 3 or 8 quart pot.
- Hamburger chopper tool*
- Cheese grater*
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
A good recipe to make when you didn’t grocery shop and you need to make a fast dinner. Bonus…it tastes amazing!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp minced dry onions
- 3 Tbsp dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain excess grease.
- Stir in the dried onions and ranch dressing mix.
- Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so nothing is sticking. Cancel off the saute setting.
- Sprinkle in the rice. Spoon the cream of mushroom soup over the top. Do not stir.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir well. Sprinkle on the cheese and let melt.
- Scoop onto plates and serve.
There are lots of variations on this recipe. Read the blog post to see other ideas.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.