Brown rice, kidney beans and black beans are simmered with salsa, corn and seasonings in your electric pressure cooker. Serve with garlic lime sour cream and grated cheddar cheese on top. Serve as a meatless meal or add in chicken for some extra protein. We love this easy and healthy, family friendly meal.
For the beans and rice:
- 1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup picante sauce (I used mild)
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning (I make my own homemade taco seasoning)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Optional: 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- Grated cheddar, for serving
For the garlic lime sour cream:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Add the rice and water into the pot. Then layer the kidney beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, picante sauce, taco seasoning, salt and pepper on top. Don’t stir.
- If desired, place chicken on top of mixture.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is on sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for at least 10 minutes. Move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Cut up chicken and then stir it back in to the pot.
- Make the garlic lime sour cream by stirring together sour cream, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, kosher salt and garlic cloves.
- Serve rice and beans with a dollop of the sour cream on top. Sprinkle with grated cheddar, if desired. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
Get the SLOW COOKER santa fe beans and rice version of the recipe here
I have also tried this recipe with pearl barley instead of brown rice. We really liked the chewiness and texture of the barley. Use 1 1/2 cups pearl barley and 2 1/2 cups water and cook for 25 minutes.
- Category: Meatless
- Method: Instant Pot
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe (no chicken/no sour cream)
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 655 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 61 g
- Protein: 11 g