Bacon, beans and sausage in a flavorful broth. Enjoy a large ladleful served over rice.
- 12 ounces pork sausages
- 6 pieces of thick cut bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry navy beans or butter beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Hot cooked rice
- For best results soak the beans for about 8 hours in plenty of water. Rinse and drain.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Brown the sausages for about 5 minutes, turning half way through. They don’t have to be cooked all the way through. Move the sausage to a plate and set aside.
- Cut the bacon into half inch pieces. Add the bacon into Instant Pot and cook until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add the onion into the Instant Pot with the bacon grease. Saute until soft and translucent. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off saute setting.
- Add in the soaked beans, bay leaf and salt.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Add in the sausages, pepper, paprika, tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire, brown sugar and Italian seasoning. Stir. Cover Instant Pot and pressure cook for 3 more minutes. Release pressure and remove lid.
- Stir and serve over rice and top with the crispy bacon.
If you want it less like soup then only use 2 cups of chicken broth instead of 3 cups.
This is my Instant Pot version of Hairy Bikers’ Sausage casserole. You can find the original recipe on the BBC website.
- Category: Sausage
- Method: Instant Pot