Caramelized onion gravy drizzled over the top of a cheese covered hamburger Salisbury steak patty. This tastes amazing served over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
For the patties:
- 1 pound lean ground beef (85/15 works well)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
For the gravy:
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Better than Bouillon Beef Base
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2–3 Tbsp of cornstarch
- Make the patties: add ground beef, 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, panko, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, kosher salt and pepper to a mixing bowl. Use clean hands to combine well. Divide equally into 4 balls. Flatten into patties and set aside.
- Start to caramelize the onions: turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add in the butter and let it melt. Add in the sliced onions and baking soda. Toss well. When onions start to yellow and put off a little moisture pour in the water, bouillon and 1 Tbsp Worcestershire. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Pressure cook: Add the patties on top of the onions. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 1 minute. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid and move patties to a plate.
- Thicken the gravy: Make a cornstarch slurry by stirring together cornstarch and water until smooth. Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Stir in the slurry until gravy thickens. Salt and pepper the gravy to taste.
- Melt the cheese: Place patties back into the pot and top each patty with a slice of cheese. Turn Instant Pot to the keep warm setting. Place the lid of top and let the cheese melt for a couple minutes.
- Serve: Serve the patties on top of mashed potatoes or egg noodles and top with gravy.
There is a lot of gravy and you could easily halve the amount of gravy. Or you can double (or 1.5 times) the patty ingredients.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot