Curly al dente pasta is enveloped in a creamy sauce with bites of baby spinach, petite tomatoes and Italian sausage.
- 16 ounces (1 pound) Italian sausage (or spicy chicken sausage)
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces (1/2 pound) Italian trottole pasta (you can also use cavatappi, penne, rigatoni etc.)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup half and half, warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded or grated parmesan
- 3 cups baby spinach
- Cornstarch + cold water
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the sausage. Use a wooden spoon (or this utensil*) to break up the meat. Brown the sausage for about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with the chicken broth.
- Add in the pasta. Dump the garlic powder, sage and tomatoes on top of pasta.
- Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When the time is up perform a quick release by moving the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the half and half and parmesan cheese. Stir in the spinach until it has wilted down.
- If you’d like to thicken the sauce, use cornstarch. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. Then simply stir 1-2 Tbsp of cornstarch together with equal parts cold water. It should be smooth. Stir the mixture into the pot and the sauce should thicken up very quickly.
- Scoop the pasta into bowls and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make gluten free: Double check your broth to be sure it does not contain gluten. Substitute noodles for GF noodles and decrease cook time by 1 minute.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/5 of recipe
- Calories: 562
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 1063 mg
- Fat: 31 g
- Carbohydrates: 45 g
- Protein: 27 g