Pork loin is cooked until tender in your electric pressure cooker and then tossed with shredded cabbage, cilantro, green onions, cashews, quinoa and a homemade sesame dressing. This is a perfect summer recipe and it can be made ahead of time.
For the pork:
- 2 lbs pork loin, quartered
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
For the Salad
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 lb shredded or chopped cabbage (I used 3/4 green cabbage and 1/4 purple cabbage)
- 1 large carrot, grated or chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup cashews, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Tamari sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
For the dressing
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Make the pork: place the quartered pork in the bottom of the Instant Pot. In a small bowl combine the water, tamari, sesame oil, garlic powder, ginger, Chinese 5 spice powder and brown sugar. Stir until smooth. Pour over the meat. Cover the Instant Pot. Press manual high pressure 50 minutes. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.”
- Prepare salad ingredients: If you aren’t serving right away read below for “if serving later” directions. While the pork is cooking chop up everything for the salad and place in a large bowl. If you need to cook the quinoa, you can do that now on the stove or in a separate pressure cooker.
- Prepare the dressing: Whisk all of the salad dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- When the timer beeps let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Then gently move valve to “venting.” Remove the lid and shred up the meat and coat with the juices inside the Instant Pot.
- If serving immediately: Toss the pork and the dressing in with the salad and toss until dressing coats the cabbage. Serve. If serving later: you’ll want to keep things separated. Leave the cashews and sunflower seeds out of the cabbage mixture until right before serving. Don’t add in the quinoa or pork until right before serving. When ready to eat, toss everything together with the salad dressing.
For this Instant Pot Chopped Chinese Pork Salad recipe I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1 for the pork. I also used my 6 quart Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker for the quinoa. They are both great pressure cookers! The first one I mentioned has a yogurt making function but other than that they are fairly similar. The price difference between the two is about $20.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
- Method: Instant Pot