An ultra moist, dense and super chocolatey cake made in your electric pressure cooker with your favorite summer vegetable, zucchini.
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 small zucchini (about 6 oz), shredded
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips (optional, but highly recommended)
- Place the trivet in the bottom of your Instant Pot with the handles up. Pour one cup of water in the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Prepare a 7 inch springform pan by lining the bottom with parchment paper. I like to use a pencil to trace around the bottom of the pan and then cut out the paper with scissors. This ensures a perfect circle of parchment paper that will fit nicely in the bottom of your pan. Spray the sides of the springform pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl mix together the eggs, vanilla, sugar, milk, oil and shredded zucchini.
- Gently stir in the flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and mini chocolate chips until no white streaks remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Carefully place the pan on top of the trivet. Cover the Instant Pot and set the timer for 28 minutes on high pressure. Make sure the valve is set to sealing.
- When the timer beeps unplug the Instant Pot and let the pot sit with the lid on for 10 minutes. Change the valve to venting and let the pressure release. Open the pot and carefully remove the trivet and pan by using the handles on the trivet. I used my oven mitts. Let the pan sit on the counter to cool for 10 minutes. Carefully open the springform pan to release the sides of the pan. At this point you can serve the cake hot with vanilla ice cream or wait until it’s completely cooled and frost it with a layer of whipped cream. It’s up to you! Both are delicious.
I haven’t tried making this cake in the slow cooker but I really think it would work well. You could either pour the batter into a greased slow cooker or pour the batter into a cake pan that fits inside your slow cooker. I would cook this in my slow cooker on high for about 2-3 hours, depending on the slow cooker size. 2 hours for a large 6 quart slow cooker and more like 3 hours for a smaller slow cooker.
- Method: Instant Pot