The most flavorful chicken filling is stuffed into tubular manicotti pasta noodles and then topped with marinara sauce and sprinkled with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp pesto (or chopped fresh basil)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 10 uncooked manicotti noodles
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (25 oz) jar marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a bowl stir together the chicken, salt, pepper, pesto, onion powder, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, cottage cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and egg.
- With gloved hands stuff each of the manicotti noodles with the chicken mixture. Set aside.
- Pour the broth into Instant Pot and bring to a boil using the sauté setting. Once it’s boiling cancel the sauté setting. Carefully lay the manicotti into the pot in 2 layers. Dump the sauce on top of pasta in an even layer.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit there for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Scoop manicotti out of the pot and top each individual portion with some of sauce and the remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
If you don’t have cooked chicken on hand you can easily cook it in the Instant Pot before moving on to the rest of the recipe. Pour 1 cup water into Instant Pot and add 1 ¼ pounds chicken breasts. Pressure cook for 18 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release for frozen or 15 minutes with 10 minute natural pressure release for fresh. Remove lid and place chicken on cutting board. Chop up* the chicken. You can use the liquid remaining in the pot for cooking the pasta.
Optional breadcrumb topping: to make this more like chicken parm add a breadcrumb topping. In a skillet, heat 2 Tbsp butter over medium heat and melt. Add 2/3 cup bread crumbs; stir to coat. Cook and stir 2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle over cooked manicotti.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make in the 8 quart pot with no changes.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot