A creamy soup with tender, moist bites of chicken, bacon crumbles, bright green leafy kale, Parmesan cheese and dumpling-like gnocchi.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups water
- 4 tsp Better Than Bouillon chicken base
- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs or a combination of the two
- 2 medium carrots, grated or diced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced into quarter inch pieces
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 cup half and half, warmed
- 1 lb gnocchi
- 4 kale leaves
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 6 pieces or crispy bacon, crumbled (or 3 oz bacon bits)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute function on the middle setting. Heat up the olive oil for a couple minutes. Add in the onion and stir. Add in the minced garlic. Cook the onion until translucent. Pour in the water and Better than Bouillon. Keep the pot on the saute setting while you prepare and add in the rest of the ingredients so it can warm up (this way it will take less time to come to pressure).
- Add in the chicken, carrots, celery, oregano, basil, parsley, bay leaf, pepper and salt.
- Cover the Instant Pot and turn it to the manual setting (on high pressure). Set the timer for 15 minutes (if using thighs) and 10 minutes (if using breasts). Make sure the valve is set to “sealing.” When the timer beeps let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure by moving the valve to “venting.”
- Remove the lid and discard the bay leaf. Remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Shred or cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Stir the chicken back into the pot.
- In a small bowl stir together the cornstarch and 3 Tbsp of water until smooth. Stir the mixture into the Instant Pot. Turn the Instant Pot to saute (the middle setting) so that the cornstarch can thicken the soup. Stir in the warmed half and half and the uncooked gnocchi.
- Lay a piece of kale on a cutting board and then cut off the leaf portion and discard the rib and stem. Cut the leafy portion into bite size pieces. Repeat this step with the other kale leaves. Add kale to the IP and stir. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Once the soup is thickened and the gnocchi is cooked through ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle each serving with some bacon.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1.
You can also make this soup in your slow cooker. Get the slow cooker instructions here.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot