Whole chicken legs are seasoned and cooked until tender in your electric pressure cooker and then browned under your broiler. Brown rice is cooked alongside the chicken and comes out with a creamy consistency–almost risotto-like. And no cream of soups are used in this recipe!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups long grain brown rice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds of fresh whole chicken legs (mine came in a package with 4 large chicken legs and it was 3 1/2 pounds)
- Montreal Chicken Seasoning* (this is made by McCormick Grill Mates, you can also use another seasoning of your choice)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Heat your Instant Pot on the saute “more” setting until it says HOT on the display. Add in the oil. Add in the diced onion. Saute for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of your pot. Add in the rice and salt.
- Lay your chicken on top of the rice. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the Montreal chicken seasoning on top of the chicken.
- Cover your pot and lock the lid into place. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the manual button (or pressure cook) button to 25 minutes. When the timer beeps let the pot sit there for about 15 minutes. Remove any pressure by moving the valve to venting.
- Turn your oven to the broil setting and move the rack to 6-8 inches below the heating element. Carefully remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and place it on a sheet pan. Sprinkle the chicken liberally with more of the Montreal chicken seasoning. Put the sheet pan in the oven and let the chicken get crispy on top. This will take about 5 minutes, maybe a little more. I like to rotate my pan halfway through.
- While the chicken is getting crispy, turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting and stir in the butter and parmesan cheese until it is melted. Stir your rice until it reaches desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chicken on top of the rice.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot