Thinly sliced seasoned roast beef piled onto a bun with flavorful juices and some pickled vegetables. An amazing sandwich with tons of flavor!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 pound beef top round roast
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups beef broth (or 2 tsp beef base and 2 cups water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup juice from the jar of Giardiniera
- 1 (32 oz) jar of Giardiniera
- French bread, baguettes, Italian bread loaf or hoagie buns for the sandwiches
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting (more). As it is heating up combine the kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning to a little bowl and mix. Rub the seasoning mixture evenly all over the roast.
- When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Place the roast in Instant Pot and brown for 3 minutes. Turn the roast over and brown for 3 minutes. Brown 2 more sides for 2 minutes each. Remove the roast from the Instant Pot and place it on a plate.
- Deglaze the pot with the beef broth. Then add in the bay leaf and ¼ cup juice from the Giardiniera.
- Place a trivet into the Instant Pot. Set the roast on top of the trivet. Cover the Instant Pot and lock the lid into place. Press the manual/pressure cook button and adjust the time depending on the thickness of your roast. For a 2.5 inch thick roast 3 minutes + 25 minutes natural pressure release. For 3.5 inch thick roast 3 minutes + 30 minutes natural pressure release. See note below.
- Remove the lid and measure the temperature of the roast’s thickest part. The roast should be around 120°F. If the temperature is too low, place the roast back into the pot on top of the trivet and close the lid. Use the “Keep Warm” setting to continue to slow roast the beef. The temperature should rise 7°F – 10°F per 5 minutes.
- Place the roast on a cutting board and loosely tent it with foil. Let the roast rest for about 8 minutes. Use a large serrated knife (or if you have a meat slicer) to cut the roast into the thinnest slices possible. Then place the thin slices into the juices in the Instant Pot. If the meat seems too pink, don’t worry! The hot juices in the Instant Pot will brown up the beef. If you prefer to keep the meat medium rare (pink) then don’t add the meat into the juices until right before serving.
- Slice open your buns and pile the beef and some of the juices onto the bread (this is a messy sandwich! Some people like to dip their bread in the juices before piling on the meat) and then top the meat with some of the Giardiniera. Eat and enjoy!
What is Giardiniera? It is an Italian relish of pickled vegetables in vinegar or oil. You can find it by the pickles at your grocery store. Typically it has peppers, cauliflower, carrots and celery. It has a zippy taste that isn’t too spicy if you buy the mild variety. Can’t find it? Try using banana peppers.
The thicker your roast, the longer it takes to reach the desired temperature. After pressure cooking time is up keep checking the temperature every 5 – 10 minutes depending on the size of your roast. Once the roast beef has reached 120°F, remove it from the Instant Pot to rest and slice.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also use an 8 quart pot for this recipe with no changes. A smaller roast will fit in your 3 quart pot.
- Category: Beef