- 1 lb tomatillos, husked, washed and sliced in half
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (or other cheese of your choice), divided
- 2 cups cooked, shredded beef (I used this recipe minus the BBQ sauce) or pork or chicken
- 6 (8 inch) tortillas (I used whole wheat)
- Combine tomatillos, jalapeno, garlic, red onion, salt, cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse several times until it gets to your desired consistency (mine was not pureed totally, a little chunky).
- In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream and cream cheese. Whip until it gets really smooth and creamy. You may want to use a hand mixer. Stir the cream cheese/sour cream mixture into the tomatillo mixture.
- Add 1 cup of the tomatillo/cream cheese mixture to the shredded meat. Add in 1 cup of the cheese and stir it in.
- Scoop the mixture evenly into the middle of 6 tortillas. It will be about 1/2 cup of the mixture in each of the tortillas. Roll up the tortillas and place them in a 9×13 pan (if baking in the oven) or the bottom of a slow cooker (if using the slow cooker). Pour rest of the tomatillo/cream cheese mixture evenly over the top of the rolled up tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven at 375°F for about 30 minute, until cheese gets bubbly. Or bake in the slow cooker on LOW for about 2-3 hours or on HIGH for 1-2 hours.
Ideal slow cooker: Casserole Crock