A few weeks ago I tried something that I thought was brilliant. Brownie batter on the bottom with chocolate chip cookie dough on top–all baked in a 9×13 pan. It was a hit. Of course it was, how could it not be?
But for those who don’t eat gluten then what? Just sit there at your picnic or potluck and look sad? No. No. No. Make some brownie cookies/cookie brownies/brookies/crownies (which name do you prefer?) just for them. They will be your friend forever. “But I don’t know how to bake gluten free.” I hear ya! Either do I. That’s why I head straight to Walmart and hit the baking section and buy a Pillsbury Gluten Free Brownie Mix and Gluten Free Cookie Mix. These mixes are just as easy to make as the non-gluten-free mixes. You may as well stock up while you’re there and keep a few extras in your pantry. You never know when you’ll want to mix up a moment!
My friend has celiac and has been on a 21 day cleanse for some other health problems that she has been having. She literally could only eat organic fruits, organic vegetables and organic meats for 21 days. I really don’t think I could do that. When I showed up on her doorstep on day 21 with some gluten free cookies she was so happy! “I can’t wait to eat these tomorrow.” I can’t either. Have at it! Eat the whole plateful if you want. You deserve it.
You’ll start by mixing up the brownie batter and baking it for just a few minutes by itself. Then you’ll plop spoonfuls of cookie dough on top and finish baking.
These cookie bars are simple to make but they look and taste great. I like to use parchment paper so I can lift the brownies out of the pan intact and cut them evenly into cute little squares.
Some helpful links:
- Save on Pillsbury products!
- Mix up a Gluten Free Moment
- Pillsbury on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram
- Gluten Free Pillsbury Products
And you can search the hashtag #MixUpAMoment to find all sorts of great gluten free spring treat ideas.Print
- 1 (15.5 oz) Pillsbury Gluten Free Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
- 1/3 cup oil (I used canola)
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 egg
- 1 (17.5 oz) Pillsbury Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 egg
- Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the brownie mix, 1/3 cup oil, 3 Tbsp of water and 1 egg. Stir 50 strokes with spoon. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. While the brownies are baking, mix up the cookie dough. Combine cookie mix, 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 Tbsp water and 1 egg in a bowl. Mix until soft dough is formed.
- When brownie batter has cooked for 10 minutes top with tablespoon balls of cookie dough.
- Place the pan back into the oven and cook for 18-21 more minutes. Check for doneness using a toothpick. Let the pan cool for a half hour and then cut into squares and enjoy.
I used a light gray 9×13 pan to bake these bars. If you use a glass pan or dark gray pan then cooking time may vary (probably take less time).
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.