One of my most popular posts is 6 Things You Should Be Buying at the Dollar Store. Since I’ve had so many great suggestions of dollar store finds I’m writing a follow up–6 more things you should be buying at the dollar store! Feel free to comment and let me know what you love to buy at the dollar store.
1. Office Supplies: if it’s not back to school season then office supplies at the dollar store are the best deal in town. They have lots of choices such as envelopes, white out, dry erase markers, post it notes and bubble mailers.
2. Gift Bags: One thing that I never have at my house is gift bags and I always regret it when we have to scramble to get a present wrapped up for a birthday party. I really should just head over to the dollar store and stock up on gift bags! Only a buck a piece is a pretty darn good deal.
3. Batteries: Have you ever woken up in the middle of night to a chirping smoke alarm? That is the worst. And then you rifle around your house at 3 am to see if you can find a 9 volt battery. And there’s not a chance you have one. Stock up at the dollar store! Oh, and while you’re there get the type that go in your remote control too!
4. Party Supplies: need some yellow streamers and paper plates for a gender neutral baby shower? Head to the dollar store. They have all sorts of party stuff.
5. Paper Products: Headed out on a camping trip? Stock up on paper plates, plastic cups and silverware and paper napkins at the dollar store.
6. Reading glasses and sunglasses: I like to keep a pair of sunglasses in my purse and in my car and in the beach bag. If your sunglasses are at the bottom of a console in the car you probably don’t want to spend a lot of money. Just get a cheap pair at the dollar store. The same goes for those of you that need reading glasses!
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up here. I usually send out 1-2 new recipes per week. And you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
If you liked this post check out these others!
And part deux…
JoAnne L says
Two things listed from above about buying at Dollar Stores are Batteries & Cold Drinking Cups. I have purchased both and here are my findings; the batteries do not last very long (about 3 weeks in a cordless keyboard) and the drinking cups I bought for a family reunion. They had slits down the cups which made everything put into them leak out (embarrassing!). Just an FYI.
Good to know!! Thanks for sharing your experience 🙂
I buy awesome at the dollar store it is “AWESOME” for any stain on your clothes. Some may require you soak the laundry item in awesome and water but I am a nurse and it removes blood, permanent marker and hair dye as long as the stain hasn’t been washed and dried before you try awesome on it.
sue b says
I love Awesome! Between that and vinegar, my cleaning products are covered.
Thanks for sharing! Great tip!
Elaine Williams in Baltimore says
We have a Dollar Tree near us but it is awful! It was good and clean when it first opened up but I can’t bear to go in there. Empty shelves, the store is not being managed right. We do have a Dollar General Store but you have to watch them – not EVERYTHING is cheap.
Deb Reynolds says
Just a comment on the batteries in the smoke alarms. The detectors in smoke alarms only last 10 years. If yours are older but the new o es. The batteries last 10 years. Always check them twice a year and then swap them the whole unit every 10 years. No more need for those 9V batteries!
Deb Reynolds says
Sorry. Swap out the entire unit if older than 10 years. The new ones have batteries that can’t be changed but they last for 10 years.
Colleen M says
Adding to this as well…If you DON’T HAVE smoke detectors or you can’t replace them, the fire departments in most communities will give you smoke detectors or install them for you.
They would much rather know you are safe with a smoke detector in your house than have to deal with the alternative.
Oh gotcha. Good point. Thanks!
The Dollar Store occasionally has wonderful fuzzy socks and mittens in wild-ific zowie colors… great for winter cozying. At a dollar a pair you can wear them every day of the week!
Good to know. I love fuzzy socks. My feet are ALWAYS cold in the winter!
Also I buy the socks and the gloves to hand out with water to the homeless people
The thing I most love at dollar tree is the cleaner called
Awesome it works on grease on the stove top and just a great all around cleaner. It also gets out stains.
Prices are much higher in Hawaii on most things at Costco. However the rotisserie chicken is still $4.99. An uncooked chicken is more than double that at the store. Did I mention that electric rates are the highest in the country? So $5 bucks is a bargain. Unfortunately no dollar stores either.
Fun post. Reminds me there is a cost to living in Paradise!
Oh Paradise sounds pretty nice 🙂 I think I may trade my dollar store for that!