Makes 4-6 servings
2-3 lbs pork roast (picnic, shoulder, butt, boston cuts work the best)
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 onion, sliced
1 (6 oz) can of root beer
1/4 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca
1. Sprinkle pork with garlic salt and pepper.
2. Place onions in bottom of 3-quart slow cooker. Top with pork.
3. Combine remaining ingredients in small bowl and stir with wire whisk until blended. Pour into slow cooker.
4. Cover and cook on LOW 8-9 hours or until pork is tender. Remove pork and place on cutting board. Shred it.
5. Drain the juices and onions from the slow cooker. Discard the onions. Reserve the juices.
6. Place pork back into the slow cooker add as much juices that you desired back into the pork. Season to taste.
7. Serve in tortillas or on toasted buns.
hey karen! so i'm going to be making this for about 20 people (10 adults and 10 kids) and i'm wondering if you have any thoughts on how i would tackle that. do you think it would work to just quadruple it and split it between two 6-quart crock pots? i'd love your insight before i screw up 16+ lbs of pork. 🙂 thanks!!
err…I mean 8+ lbs of pork. 🙂 I'll have someone else do the math part…
[email protected] says
I would probably do 4 lbs in each crock. I don't think you'll need to double everything! Personally I would just double the meat and then use 1 can of rootbeer per crockpot and keep the recipe the same. I hope this goes well for you! That's a lot of people to cook for 🙂
Oh this looks good!!
In Which We Start Anew
I made this recipe on Sunday. It was really easy. My husband loved it, and I thought it was pretty good too. We ate it on toasted buns which was great. We will definately be making this one again.
Jocee Bergeson says
I just made coke pork the other day. Can't wait to try this one. Thanks Karen!!