1 lb hot bulk Italian sausage
2 onions, chopped
2 (4 oz) jars sliced mushrooms, drained
2 cups flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups shredded Colby cheese
1. In large skillet, cook sausage with onions over medium heat, stirring to break up sausage, until sausage is cooked. Drain well. Add mushrooms and remove from heat.
2. In large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, and butter. Mix well.
3. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
4. Spray a 4 quart slow cooker with nonstick baking spray containing flour. Place half of the batter in the slow cooker; top with half of the sausage and half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
5. Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours or until corn bread tests done when tested with a toothpick. Serve immediately by spooning out of the slow cooker as in spoon bread.
Happy October, everyone! As you can probably tell by the picture, I let mine cook a little too long. Besides the fact that it was a little too done, it wasn’t that great. I would rather have cornbread separately from my sausage, I guess. I won’t be making this one again. 2 stars.
Recipe Source: Slow Cooker Church Potluck