|Creamy Quinoa and Turkey (or Chicken) Soup in the Slow Cooker|
The other day, I was thinking of the creamy wild rice and chicken soup that I made years ago and thinking that I needed to make it again but swap out the ingredients (turkey for chicken and quinoa for rice). It turned out utterly amazing. I love this soup SO much! I think the leftovers actually taste better than the day of! I used leftover smoked turkey (which gave it a nice smoky flavor) but you could use just regular cooked turkey, rotisserie chicken, this chicken, or even ham would be yummy!
|This quinoa and turkey soup is amazing!|
I added bacon crumbles to the top of my bowl of soup because it seemed like the right thing to do. I was thinking if you’re a big fan of mushrooms adding sliced mushrooms to the soup when you’re putting everything in the crock would be awesome. You decide!Print
A creamy soup to make with leftover cubed turkey. This is so comforting and delicious you’ll be asking for seconds!
- 1 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa (rinse the quinoa so it’s not bitter)
- 4 cups water
- 4 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 carrot, finely grated or diced
- 1 celery rib, finely diced
- 3 cups cooked turkey pieces (or you can use cooked chicken or ham)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: bacon crumbles
- Add quinoa, water, bouillon, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, carrot, celery and turkey to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 3 hours, or until quinoa is cooked through.
- In a frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour by tablespoon to form a roux. Whisk in
cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Stir cream mixture into the slow cooker. Add salt and pepper to taste (this will vary a lot depending on what kind of meat you use and how seasoned it was).
- Cook uncovered on HIGH for 15 more minutes. Ladle into serving bowls and top with bacon crumbles. Enjoy!
Ideal slow cooker size: 5-6 quart
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker