- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes or whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup half and half (or just regular milk works well too)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried basil (or you can always just 1–2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Toppings: croutons and parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 425° F. Line a cookie sheet with foil (I like to use non-stick foil...dull side up). Wash your red bell peppers, core and seed them, and slice them into 1/2 inch strips. Place them on the foil-lined cookie sheet. Place in the oven on the top rack. Cook for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and place peppers in the blender.
- Place tomatoes, broth, half and half, salt, pepper, garlic, basil and red pepper flakes in the blender.
- If using a Blendtec, push the soup button and let it run it’s cycle and then serve and enjoy. If using another blender, blend the soup until smooth and then heat on the stove.
- Serve the soup topped with croutons and parmesan cheese, if desired.