The very best tender, fluffy white sandwich loaf bread with a slightly sweet taste. Use your Instant Pot to proof the dough to speed up the process.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 5–1/2 cups bread flour, you may need a little more or a little less
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Add warm water and milk to stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. The water and milk should be about 110 degrees. This is nice and warm but not hot. Stir in the sugar and let it dissolve.
- Sprinkle the yeast into the bowl and whisk a little. Let the yeast mixture get foamy (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the salt, oil and 1 cup of the flour. Mix for 20 seconds.
- Then add in the rest of the flour, 1 cup at a time while the the mixer is on low. The dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Mix for 5 minutes.
- Spray your Instant Pot liner with non-stick cooking spray or swirl oil in the bottom of it. Place the dough into the Instant Pot liner. Set Instant Pot to yogurt function LESS (use adjust button to get it to less, it should say 24 hours). Cover Instant Pot with a glass lid or a plate and let it raise for 30 minutes, or until doubled.
- Punch the dough down. Knead for 3 minutes by hand. Divide into two equal portions. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Shape into loaves and place into two 9×5 inch loaf pans. Brush with the melted butter. Let the loaves raise for 30 minutes, or until dough is about 1 inch above the pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Loaves should sound hollow when tapped.
If you don’t have bread flour you can use all purpose flour. The bread might not raise as high and be as fluffy but it will still taste amazing.
If you don’t have a stand mixer you can knead by hand. Mix in the flour until you have a sticky dough. Plop the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Read the whole blog post for more tips.