Makes 6 servings
1 (16 oz) can refried beans
1 cup picante sauce or salsa, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tomato, diced
7 medium whole wheat tortillas
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Salsa, sour cream and extra cilantro for toppings
1. Combine the refried beans, 3/4 cup of salsa and garlic in a small bowl.
2. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup of salsa, cilantro, black beans and tomato.
3. Take 2 long sheets of aluminum foil and make a foil sling. Place in a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Take one tortilla and spread 1/4 of the refried bean mixture over the tortilla (leave about 1/2 inch of space around the perimeter). Place it in the slow cooker. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese over beans. Top it with another tortilla. Spoon 1/3 of the black bean mixture over the tortilla. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese over the black beans. Top it with another tortilla. Repeat layers. You'll end with refried beans on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. (see picture below)
5. Cover and cook on LOW for about 4-5 hours (depending on how hot your slow cooker cooks) or about 2-3 hours on HIGH.
6. Use the overhanging edges to gently pull out the dish intact. Transfer to a serving platter. Slice and serve with sour cream, salsa and cilantro.
Ha! You didn't think I could get it out of the slow cooker intact, did you? I'm so proud of myself right now. These are the things in life that make me excited. Sad, isn't it?
I loved this recipe and surprisingly my kids did too. They love dipping their "pie" in sour cream. We ate up all the leftovers for lunch the next day. I also appreciated the use of the whole wheat tortillas because it makes the recipe seem healthier and I think they're a bit sturdier and hold up better in the slow cooker. 4 stars.