Chicken with Vegetable Ragout and Polenta (from Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Slow Cooker Recipes 2, page 32)
Prep: 8 minutes
Cook Low: 4-5 hours
3 c frozen primavera vegetable medley
1 can (14 oz) artichoke quarters in water, drained
1 tsp garlic salt
3/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
6 chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry
1 jar (14 oz) pasta sauce
1/4 c dry sherry
1 tsp crushed garlic
3 T tomato paste
1 tube (24 oz) pre-cooked polenta, sliced 1/2-inch thick
Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine frozen vegetable medley and artichokes
2. In a small bowl, combine garlic salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with mixture. Place chicken in slow cooker on top of vegetables
3. In a large bowl, stir together pasta sauce, sherry, garlic, and tomato paste. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Top with polenta slices.
4. Cover and cook on low setting for 4-5 hours. Serve hot with grated Parmesan cheese.
* Chicken broth in place of dry sherry
* Cut chicken breasts in half (to encourage smaller portions) and tenderized (worth the extra time)
* Chopped 2 garlic cloves
* Doubled Italian seasoning (it was too zesty for my husband, but perfect for me)
* Made my own polenta, since I prefer it baked For next time.
* Cook the chicken, preferably on the grill, but a pan will do.
* Make the polenta pizza-style, with sauteed peppers, mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, and fresh basil
The recipe is basic and pretty easy. It tasted better as leftovers the next day because the seasonings had a chance to mix. We served it with spaghetti and because the chicken was so tender, it shred easily. 4 stars.
In case you are interested...
3/4 c cornmeal (if you mill your own, that is about 1/2 c popcorn)
1/2 c cold water
1/2 c boiling water
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c Parmesan
Preheat oven to 375º.
Grease pie plate.
Stir cornmeal and cold water until well mixed. Add to boiling water and cook over low heat, stirring until thick, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in salt and Parmesan. Pour into pie plate.
Bake at 375º for 30 minutes.
(If I were to do the pizza, I would follow the same instructions. Then I would reduce the heat to 350º and add the veggies and cheese)