Makes 8 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 6 quart
Cooking time: 3-5 hours on low
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained of grease (or ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground Italian sausage)
1 (26 oz) can spaghetti sauce
1 (14 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
1 tsp salt
2 cups cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
9 whole wheat lasagna noodles (the whole wheat noodles hold up better in the slow cooker than white noodles)
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, divided
1. Brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Drain beef of grease.
2. Add spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, salt, cottage cheese and egg.* Stir a bit. Add in 1/2 cup of mozzarella and 1/2 cup of Parmesan.
3. Add 1/2 cup of the meat sauce to the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with 3 lasagna noodles. Break the noodles in half to fit, if you need to.
4. Top with another 1/2 cup of sauce. Layer 3 more noodles. Top with 1/2 cup of sauce. Layer the last of the noodle. Top with the rest of the sauce.
5. Sprinkle with the cheeses (should be 1 cup of each left)
6. Cover and cook on LOW for 3-5 hours.
*Add in extra veggies if you desire. Some ideas are mushrooms, peppers, spinach, zucchini, etc.