The perfect summer salad for all picnics, potlucks and barbecues–wheat berries with a lime dressing, black beans, avocados, grape tomatoes, red peppers, jicama, red onion and cilantro. It’s got the crunch, the chewiness and the bright flavors all in one salad.
For the wheat berries:
- 2/3 cup wheat
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
For the salad
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 medium jicama, finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 (15-ounce can) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- First you’ll need to cook the wheat berries. Place wheat berries, water, and salt into a slow cooker. Turn on high and cook for 3-4 hours or until the wheat is chewy. You can also cook it overnight on low. Drain off liquid from wheat berries and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until cool.
- Combine the avocados, jicama, onion, bell pepper, wheat berries (cooked previously), black beans, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and adjust seasonings to taste. Chill at least 30 minutes and up to overnight before serving.
I used my 3 quart slow cooker to cook the wheat berries.