Spinach salad with wheat berries, strawberries, goat cheese, pecans and dressing. A perfect summer supper or side dish.
- 1/2 cup of uncooked wheat (often called wheat berries)
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (toasted is good!)
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- 1 (11 oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
- Poppy seed dressing (about 1/2 cup)
- Add wheat berries, water and salt to Instant Pot. Cover and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 30 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. If foam starts escaping the valve then move valve back to sealing and wait 1 minute before trying to release the pressure.
- Dump the wheat berries into a colander and rinse well with cold water until they are cool to the touch. Set aside. (If making ahead of time store in the refrigerator until ready to toss the salad).
- In a large bowl add the spinach, strawberries, pecans, cheese, oranges and wheat berries. When ready to serve, add in the dressing (I added about a half cup but add enough to your taste). Toss well with tongs so that all the spinach has dressing on it. Serve immediately.
To cook wheat berries in slow cooker: Add wheat, water and salt to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours. Rinse and drain.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Instant Pot