A healthy soup with crushed tomatoes, tender fleshy artichoke hearts, a variety of hearty beans, Parmesan cheese and seasoned croutons.
- 1 (20 oz) package Hurst’s Hambeens 15 Bean Soup with seasoning packet
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes with seasonings in juice
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can artichokes in brine, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Salt and pepper
- Open the bean package and save the seasoning packet for later. Soak beans overnight in a big bowl of water with 1 Tbsp salt. They should soak for at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse the beans in a colander. Add the beans to a slow cooker. Cover the beans with water and let cook on low for about 8-10 hours or on high for about 5-7 hours, or until beans are tender. Drain the water off the beans and set aside.
- In a large 5 quart pot melt butter on the stove over medium high heat. Add in the onion and garlic. Saute the onions for about 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add in the fire roasted tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, chopped artichokes, bay leaf, water, oregano, basil and the seasoning packet. Carefully add in the cooked beans. Simmer on the stove for about 15-30 minutes.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese and the kosher salt. Taste test and add more salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with croutons.