Saucy shredded chicken with a bit of a kick served on top of sweet and spicy jalapeño rolls. This is an easy meal for a summer dinner.
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (if you want it less spicy use only 1 or 2 peppers)
- 2 Tbsp minute tapioca*
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- 1 package King’s Hawaiian Jalapeño rolls
- In a blender combine the onions, garlic, tomatoes, salt and chipotle peppers. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the tapioca and brown sugar.
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or until chicken is very tender.
- Shred the meat on a cutting board and then return back to the slow cooker and stir together with the sauce.
- Serve the saucy meat on top of the rolls**.
*Tapioca is a thickener. It will keep the sauce from getting too runny.
**I toasted my rolls under the broiler, but it’s up to you if you want to do that or not.