An easy recipe for a creamy crockpot soup made with dried white beans, chopped vegetables, flavorful seasonings and salty pastrami (or you can use ham).
For the soaking
- 1 lb 4 oz package of Hurst’s Great Northern Beans with Ham Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp salt
For the day of cooking
- 7 cups water
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2–3 cups cubed pastrami or ham
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the dried beans (save the seasoning packet for tomorrow) and 1 Tbsp salt. Cover completely with water. The beans will soak up a lot of water so make sure they are covered well. Let the beans soak for at least 8 hours.
- Drain the beans and rinse them off. Add them to a large slow cooker. Add in 7 cups water, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, bouillon, bay leaf and parsley. Add in half of the pastrami/ham. Add in the seasoning packet.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 6-8 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream. Add in the rest of the pastrami/ham. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.