Dried white beans (or canned) are slow cooked and make an amazing soup with Italian sausage, carrots, tomatoes, kale and parmesan cheese. The flavor is unbelievably good! This soup is naturally gluten free.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 pound dried Great Northern beans, sorted and rinsed (or 3 cans of Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 4 large kale leaves, washed and chopped (stems removed)
- Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Heat a pan on your stove over medium high heat. Once hot add in the Italian sausage and break it up (I use this tool*). Add in the onion. Stir every minute or so until sausage is browned. Add to the slow cooker.
- Pour in the broth, carrots, beans, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours (for beans that have not been soaked) or 6-7 hours (for soaked beans) or 4 hours (for canned beans).
- Remove the lid. Discard the bay leaf. Stir in the tomatoes and kale.
- Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with a heaping tablespoon of parmesan cheese.
I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.*
Dried beans can’t be cooked with acidic products like tomatoes or else they won’t get soft. That is why the tomatoes are stirred in after the dried beans are cooked. If you’re using canned beans you can stir the tomatoes in initially.
Dried beans vary in cooking times depending on how fresh they are. If your beans are older they may take longer to cook.
Soaking your beans for 8 hours in water will help with digestion and possibly give the beans a better texture.
Get the Instant Pot version here.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8-10 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 1100 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 39 mg
Keywords: slow cooker, crockpot, soup