For the chicken:
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 12 Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
For the slaw:
- 1 medium crisp cucumber (it will be about 3 cups of shredded cucumber)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker and liberally salt and pepper it.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the diced onion, tomato paste, chili powder, paprika, red pepper flakes and 2 tsp of olive oil. Microwave on high for about 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds. Add in the ketchup and molasses. Stir. Add mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 4-6 hours. Chicken should be very tender and shreddable.
- Remove the chicken and shred on a cutting board.
- Add in the apple cider vinegar and the Dijon mustard. Stir. Add in the shredded chicken. Stir to coat.
- Grate the cucumber into nice, long shreds. Place grated cucumber into a colander and stir in the 1 tsp of salt. Let it drain of liquids for about 30 minutes (I was surprised at how much liquid drained out).
- Grate the carrot. Dice the red pepper. Add the cucumber into a bowl with the carrot and red pepper and toss in the olive oil.
- Portion out the chicken onto each of the rolls. Then portion out the slaw onto each of the rolls. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-5 quart