With Italian sausage and barley this soup has flavor and texture in every spoonful. It’s perfect for a cold night supper and the leftovers are the best for lunch the next day.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (I used mild)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14 oz) can petite diced tomatoes (or fired roasted tomatoes for more flavor)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan over medium high heat brown your sausage and at the same time saute the onion. Drain off any grease. Add the sausage and onion to the slow cooker.
- Add in the garlic powder, basil, celery, carrot, barley, broth, tomato paste, tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until barley is cooked through.
- Discard the bay leaf. Taste and salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and enjoy.
I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.*
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker