- 1 (20 oz) package of Hurst’s HamBeens Brand 15 Bean Soup
- 7 cups water
- 1 lb ham, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, for topping
- The night before, place the beans in a large bowl. Save the seasoning packet for later. Cover the beans completely with water and allow to soak for at least 8 hours.
- Drain and discard water from beans. Place beans in a large slow cooker. Add in 7 cups of water and salt and ham. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until beans are soft and tender.
- Slice red peppers into strips and place on a foil lined cookie sheet in one layer. Place in a 425°F oven and let roast for 30 minutes. Combine roasted red pepper and heavy cream in a blender. Blend until pureed. It will be a nice, bright orange color.
- Pour contents of blender into the slow cooker. Stir. Add in the contents of the seasoning packet (saved from earlier), garlic powder and onion powder. Salt and pepper to taste (I used 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper).
- Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.
Ideal size slow cooker: 6 quart