Make a flavorful, restaurant-style orange chicken at home in your slow cooker. By using the Ninja Cooking System with Auto-iQ you can make the chicken from start to finish in one pot.
- Zest from one large orange
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce (I used low sodium)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp diced green onions
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut each thigh into about 6 pieces
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- For garnish, diced green onions and sesame seeds
- In a bowl, whisk together the zest, orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, green onions and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Blot the pieces of chicken with a thick paper towel. You’ll want to get as much moisture off of the chicken as possible.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in resealable food storage bag. Add chicken. Shake to thoroughly coat with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in the Ninja by using the stovetop setting on high. When oil is hot, brown the chicken about 2 minutes on each side. You may need to work in batches. Once you have finished browning the meat, turn the Ninja to the slow cooker function and set it to low for 2 hours.
- Whisk the orange juice mixture one last time and then pour it over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker.
- Once the chicken has cooked serve it over rice. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
I used my Ninja Cooking System with Auto-iQ for this recipe.