Make a flavorful, restaurant-style orange chicken at home in your slow cooker.
- Zest from one large orange
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce (I used low sodium)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp diced green onions
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut each thigh into about 6 pieces
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- For garnish, diced green onions and sesame seeds
- In a bowl, whisk together the zest, orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, green onions and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Blot the pieces of chicken with a thick paper towel. You’ll want to get as much moisture off of the chicken as possible.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in resealable food storage bag. Add chicken. Shake to thoroughly coat with flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat. When oil is hot, brown the chicken about 2 minutes on each side. You may need to work in batches. Once you have finished browning the meat add it into your slow cooker.
- Whisk the orange juice mixture one last time and then pour it over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low 2 hours.
- Once the chicken has cooked serve it over rice. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
I used my Ninja Cooking System with Auto-iQ for this recipe.
- Method: Slow Cooker