I used a water bath as well for this brownie dessert. I filled the slow cooker with about 2 inches of water and then I inserted my batter-filled pyrex into the slow cooker. This ensures the dessert will cook more evenly.
This recipe is what all our dreams are made of. It’s very rich and intensely chocolate. It’s smooth, almost mousse-like, but also very dense. It’s like a creamy brownie.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup + 3 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- Vanilla ice cream
- Spray an oven safe dish that fits inside your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. (I use a round corningware that is 1.6 liters). Fill the bottom of your slow cooker with about 2 inches of water.
- If you have a stand mixer beat the eggs and sugar on medium speed for 5-7 minutes until very thick and light yellow in color with the paddle attachment. If you don’t have a stand mixer add the eggs
and sugar to a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer. Make sure to mix for the full 5 minutes, it’s essential for the texture of this dessert.
- Add the vanilla, cocoa, flour and salt and mix on low speed until just combined. With the mixer on low, carefully add in the melted butter and Nutella and mix just until combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape all of the batter into the prepared dish. Spread the batter evenly in the dish.
- Place the dish in the bottom of the slow cooker. The water should go about halfway up the side of the dish.
- Place 2 layers of thick paper towels over the top of the slow cooker. Secure the paper towels by placing the slow cooker lid over the top. Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours. At 2 hours it will be more
melty and at 3 hours it will still be moist but totally cooked through. You choose what you prefer.
- Unplug the slow cooker and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Scoop into serving bowls and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Ideal slow cooker size: 6-8 quart
Recipe inspired by Mel’s Kitchen Cafe