A brightly flavored chicken and lentil soup based on the Greek Classic avgolemono, which translates as “egg-lemon.” It is a light and healthy soup that can be served as a starter or as the main dish.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the onion in very thin slices and add to the slow cooker.
- Mince the garlic and add it into the slow cooker.
- Add in the red pepper flakes, parsley flakes, lentils, chicken broth and chicken.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on HIGH for 2 1/2-3 hours.
- Remove the lid and remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred the chicken and return to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks and lemon juice. Stir into the slow cooker.
- Salt and pepper to taste (I added in a half teaspoon of salt. For you it will depend on how salty your chicken broth is).
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve.