- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 tsp canola or olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 5 cups veggie or chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup half and half (optional)
- 3 cups spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- In a microwave safe bowl, stir together the diced onion, garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, tomato paste, carrots, celery and oil. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add in bay leaf, tomatoes, broth, orzo and salt.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 2-4 hours, or until orzo is tender.
- Warm the half and half and add in, if desired (this just gives it a more creamy taste, but you can totally leave it out if you want).
- Stir in spinach and then salt and pepper to taste (I added in another 1/2 tsp of salt). Ladle into serving bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.
Ideal slow cooker size: 5-6 quart