A gluten-free, creamy chili made with dried white beans, tender bites of leftover turkey, creamy broth made with protein-packed Greek yogurt, crumbly queso fresco, slices of avocado and a splash of lime juice for flavor.
For soaking the night before
- 1 (20 oz) package Hurst’s Great Northern Beans with Ham Flavor
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 8 cups water
- 1 diced onion
- Reserved seasoning packet
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 (14 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 cups cubed and cooked turkey (or rotisserie chicken)
- 2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- Juice from one lime
- Queso fresco, for serving
- Avocado slices, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- *Optional 1 cup half and half
- In a large bowl place the beans (reserve the seasoning packet for later) and cover them completely with water. Add in 1 Tbsp of salt. Let the beans soak overnight for at least 8 hours. Drain the beans and rinse them off.
- Add the beans to the slow cooker. Add in 8 cups of water and the diced onion. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on low for 8-10 hours, or until beans are tender. Ladle out 2 cups of the beans and place in a blender. Puree the beans (venting for heat) and then add the pureed beans back into the slow cooker.
- Add in the seasoning packet, green chiles, corn, yogurt*, turkey, salt, pepper, cumin and lime juice. Stir until creamy.
- Ladle in serving bowls and top each bowl with a bit of queso fresco, some sliced avocado and cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
*If the Greek yogurt is non-fat you may want to consider adding in one cup of warmed half and half. It gives it just a bit more flavor. If the Greek yogurt is full-fat, you’ll get enough flavor from that that you won’t need the half and half.
This recipe is GLUTEN-FREE! If serving with queso fresco be sure to check ingredients to be sure there is no wheat.