- 7 1/2 cups chicken broth (I used water and broth base by Orrington farms)
- 1 medium onion, julienned
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- Salt and pepper
- Feta cheese
- Fresh chives
- Add broth, onions, garlic, lemon zest, chicken and red pepper to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Whisk together the juice from the lemon and the egg yolks. Add them into the slow cooker and turn the slow cooker to high.
- Add in the couscous.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred or cut into bite size pieces. Add back into the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 10 minutes, or until couscous is tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into bowls and top with a sprinkling of feta cheese and fresh chopped chives.
You can make this into a freezer meal. Just add bouillon (use this instead of broth), onion, garlic, lemon zest, chicken breast and red pepper to a zipper freezer bag and freeze. When ready to make add contents of bag to the slow cooker. Add in 7 1/2 cups water and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 6 hours. Then follow instruction numbers 2-6 above.