Brown rice is cooked with fresh garlic and tender bites of chicken. Parmesan cheese and asparagus (or broccoli) are stirred in to make a perfect one pot meal.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups boiling chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large bunch of asparagus, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces (see note)
- Heat a pan on the stove over medium heat. Add the butter into the pan and swirl around to melt. Once melted, add in the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 20-30 seconds. Add in the brown rice and stir to coat the rice in butter and onions. Add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Stir the boiling chicken broth, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper into the slow cooker.
- Nestle the chicken breasts into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or until rice is tender. Remove the chicken and cut into bite size pieces. Stir the chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and the asparagus. Cover and cook on high for about 10 minutes until asparagus is cooked. When asparagus gets to your desired softness serve and enjoy. I like my asparagus with a little crispness so it didn’t take much time at all. Plus my asparagus spears were pretty skinny.
If you prefer you can use broccoli florets in the place of asparagus. Cut a head of broccoli into small florets so they can cook quickly. Follow the directions above as written. You can also use frozen broccoli. Run hot water over the broccoli before adding it into the pot.
I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.*
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker